Saturday, October 11, 2008

Lighthouses and Lobster in Maine

After a week of photographing cows and barns in Vermont, it was time for a change of scenery! Millie and I packed up the T@B and headed over to the southern Maine coast for Columbus Day weekend. It was a glorious weekend! Clear, sunny, and warm days with great sunrises and sunsets, lots of good lobster, and pretty lighthouses to photograph-- who could ask for more?

We set up base camp at a KOA just south of Portland and made day trips north and south along the coast. One of the prettiest areas was just north of Portland around the town of South Bristol, Maine. It had a harbor filled with lobster boats called Christmas Cove that was terrific to photograph:


After Christmas Cove, as I headed north towards the Pemaquid Point Lighthouse, I came across this old graveyard with it's trees at peak foliage:


I arrived at Pemaquid Point Lighthouse around noon. Not an ideal time to photograph, especially when the other hundred tourists wanted to climb all over the rocks in front of my shot! But, it was a gorgeous day to enjoy the sun, so I just waited patiently for a few tourist-free pics:



On the way back to camp, I drove through a town that had decorated its sidewalks with "great pumpkin" art. This pair were my favorites!

While the foliage in parts of Vermont and New Hampshire had peaked by Columbus Day, colors were bursting and vivid along the southern Maine coast.

No comments: