Monday, February 26, 2007

Day 18 - Amarillo to Joplin

After working Sunday evening and most of Monday at the KOA in Amarillo, I hit the road again in the afternoon to drive to Joplin, MO catching some of the east Texas panhandle sights that I'd missed on the way out due to the foggy icestorm.

The little town of McLean, Texas was a major gas stop in the early Route 66 days. Lots of old gas stations in town, including this restored gem--- the original Phillips 66 station for the state of Texas. Since my friend Natalie's husband works for Conoco-Phillips, I thought they'd enjoy these shots!



Not to be outdone by the restored Phillips station, this is the beautifully restored Conoco station in Shamrock, TX:


I didn't have time to stop, but this National Route 66 Museum in Elk City, OK looked like a very interesting place!


And, what a way to end the day, with yet one more T@B gawker... this time a bovine!

No comments: